Wednesday, May 18, 2016

CVCGU16, our team name, is swiftly gaining momentum

June 5 will be here before we know it! School year is at an end, projects are getting turned in, finals are coming, and  the students are finishing well.  Much like the Christian life, our goal is to finish well. That was certainly the case last year when I heard the news that my mother had passed. I am a bit nervous seeing those dear people again in Guatemala that covered me in prayer and love, it brings me to tears just thinking about those special moments with them, tender moments of genuine concern and an assurance that my Mom did finish well, her life was a life well lived for her Savior. The memories of that horrible time will flood my mind as I see their faces. it will be a joyful reunion for sure!

What is it like being a returning leader? This year will be my 11th time stepping on Guatemalan soil and being a part of that community-even if just going for 2 short weeks, returning each year, makes those guatemaltecos like family to me. God has showered opportunity over these years to raise my children returning with me each year, and growing up with the Guatemalan  children! My daughter Courtney is so anxious to see Lizbeth again, and Brenden, her brother., basically all of the kids in the community of El Gorrion. We go each year but walking those dirt paths to those cinder block houses that have no light or running water just draw us...closer to Him. 

There will be changes this year. Anxiety has set in, but we know that Students International provides and has been providing over these years the best solution to what is ahead. Our flights have been purchased, our mission sites have been assigned, and we can put a face to our leaders and know a bit more about what God has intended for us and how we can best serve the community there.

Hard to believe that at this time last year, my heart was conflicted about returning. My family all went to visit with my Mom and we got to say our goodbyes, never even imagining it was for the last time.
As my heart still aches, I realize that there will be hurting hearts on our team as well, I covet your prayers for discernment and for tender guidance in certain situations. Team times, my favorite part of the trip, where students bond and worship as a group, will once again be a formative time for all of us.

We return home on the 18th of June, there are 20 of us total: Myself, Michael Kornelis, Ally Kornelis, Pamela Moore,  Laura Moore, Lisa Colburn, Abbey Colburn, Madelyn Burr, Marissa Price, TJ Price, Triston Lytle, Eric Salcedo, Tanner Rocha, Justine Bouwman, Charlize Guess, Claire Fluegel, Lacy Graff, Courtney Branderhorst, Taylor Vos, and Brian Fabrie.

I cannot help but look ahead to the trip I have with Students International to the Dominican Republic a week after I return from Guatemala. I have a small group joining me there, but I am anxious to meet and live alongside the Dominican culture there! Pray for us- Myself, Cooper Calvin, Saskia Dragt, Collin Stockton, Tiffnee Jones, and Stephanny Ruiz. Dates for that trip are June 27- July 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment